Coaching
On
Friday I spent the day on work placement, coaching a group of students at the Glasgow
Climbing Centre. There are three certificate levels for the pupils to work
through. Level one starts with the basics of climbing (tying in,
belaying, basic rules and safety features of bouldering), Level 2 includes, attempting
indoor lead climbing and improving hand and foot techniques. Level 3 is more technical
including Trad climbing and independent abseiling.
All
of the pupils had passed the level 1 and are close to finishing level 2. The session
was spent helping the students finish their level two certificates. I really enjoyed
working through this with the students as they are a great bunch and very
funny.
I
had an assessment to complete for my own college course which involved me
coaching two students how to ‘smear’ (friction contact with the sole of the
shoe) and show progression in this skill. This had to be videoed and last 30
minutes and accompany this with a written session plan. I did this near the end
of the day. I think it went ok, although I did not feel so comfortable in front
of the camera. I will find out on Tuesday how I actually done.
Overall
the day went really well and I could not be happier coaching these students. I
am looking forward to taking them climbing outdoors and helping them to
progress in their climbing.


No comments:
Post a Comment